I’m finally caught up enough to do the It’s a String Thing challenge this week! Luckily, Eni Oken released a new Blue Sun video lesson the day after the challenge came out and they dovetailed perfectly! Here’s the string with inspiration from the Olympics. The 3 tangles were Golven ( G for gold), Sand Swirl (S for silver) and Barney ( B for Bronze). I’m not sure my tile kept the idea of the Olympics or not but the string was perfect for the Blue Sun lesson from Eni Oken! I used a Bristol vellum tile and a mixture colored pencil and Sakura Pigma Micron and Sakura gelly roll Moonlights. It’s another great lesson for Art Club!
I haven’t been very plugged into Facebook lately, mostly due to behind the scenes work on a new Freeform Celtic Knot Tutorial. It’s almost ready and will include a free pdf with extra Knot configurations! I’m pretty excited to teach it as it has quickly turned very zenful to draw for me. Be sure to check back soon!
So I really was unhappy with my diva challenge submission this week so I decided to go through my tiles and try to get it right. The result was interesting to say the least for several reasons. Here’s my before and after tiles:
This is a white tile with a burnt ochre watercolor wash. I started with my Sakura micron brown pen and was disappointed in the contrast but this made a perfect tile for #273.
I have several sets of Sakura pens that I’ve never used so this ended up being a bit of an experiment. I used my set of Sakura glaze pens for the colored in sections of the aquafleur and what is supposed to be Veezy I believe. So what I learned is that the glaze Pens have a large nib I’m assuming to allow the ink to flow smoothly which it certainly does. It goes on extremely smoothly and when it dries it leaves an upraised glossy look to what’s underneath to give it a 3D look. Unfortunately this means that fine lines and drawing with them can become rather a gloppy mess so having tried those, I really liked the dark brown aquafleur but the other was a mess! But in keeping with the Zentangle® Method I kept working and finished the rest of it. I used a burnt ochre, a dark brown and a terracotta prismacolor soft core pencil for shading which, as always, helped a lot. This tangle includes #opus #aquafleur #mookah #veezy and #fescue. (I’m terrible at remembering the tangle names so forgive me if I don’t list everything.)
See everyone next week for diva challenge 274! As always you can find a link to Diva’s blog in my top menu.